What Should You Do if You Have a Spinal Cord Injury From a Car Accident?

December 30, 2022

Car accidents are a primary cause of spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries are often life-changing and are costly to treat. If you suffer a spinal cord injury during an accident, you should do the following.

Get Medical Help Right Away

A catastrophic spinal cord injury will likely result in an immediate trip to the emergency room and an extended stay in the hospital. Even seemingly mild collisions can cause severe spinal cord injuries.

Sometimes, spinal cord injuries do not appear right away. Shock, swelling, and numbness might mask the symptoms of a serious spinal cord injury. Whether you feel okay or have an obvious injury, you always should get medical attention right away following a car accident. 

Your auto insurance can cover a trip to the emergency room and follow-up care up to your policy limits. Getting care in the emergency room also helps confirm the accident caused your spinal cord injury. 

File a Claim With Your Auto Insurance Company

Pennsylvania is a no-fault state when it comes to filing claims for car accident injuries. This means your insurance coverage should pay for your injury costs up to your policy limits regardless of who caused the accident. The sooner that you file your accident claim, the sooner your coverage can start paying for your medical costs.

What if You Cannot Work Due to Your Spinal Cord Injury?

A spinal cord injury will likely cause you to miss work and might permanently disable you. In Pennsylvania, you can add coverage for lost wages to your insurance policy. This coverage can pay you 80 percent of your gross wages up to your policy limits. It is important to note that coverage will not start until five days of missed work.

In some cases, you also could file a claim for lost income against the at-fault driver’s insurance if you do not have lost income coverage. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you file a strong claim and hold the negligent driver accountable. 

Media Car Accident Lawyers at Eckell Sparks Help Accident Survivors Who Have Spinal Cord Injuries

If you were in a car accident and need legal help, contact one of our Media car accident lawyers at Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte, Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C. Call us at 610-565-3701 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation. Located in Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania, we represent clients in Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery County.