Can I Recover Lost Wages From a Car Accident?

February 27, 2024
Our Media Car Accident Lawyers at Eckell Sparks Help Clients Get Compensation for Lost Wages

Car accident survivors certainly have their hands full after these unfortunate events happen, doing their best to recover from their injuries and dealing with insurance issues. Yet, many cannot work temporarily or permanently because of those injuries. It is possible to recover lost wages from a car accident if you are eligible and follow the proper procedures.

Do I Claim Lost Wages Through Insurance?

If you file a claim or pursue a car accident lawsuit against the person who allegedly caused your accident, you can seek compensation for lost wages that directly resulted from the incident. That can include physical injuries like broken arms that prevent you from performing your work duties.  

If you were out of work for six weeks after a car accident, you would be entitled to recover the amount you would have received in wages. When severe enough, psychological injuries like PTSD are also considered grounds for lost wage replacement.

How Can I Claim Lost Wages?

It is vital to keep accurate records of your injury diagnosis and treatment when making an insurance claim or filing a personal injury suit. You also need to document your work absences; the employer should be able to validate that for you. Let the insurer know as soon as possible that you cannot work, and they will walk you through filing your claim.

The insurer will need medical documentation, so ensure that your records are in order. Your physician must demonstrate that the injuries are serious enough to prevent you from working. Once the claim is submitted, you will be asked to complete an employment authorization form and an independent medical examination. They will also need to see a copy of your most recent paycheck or other proof of what you would have earned.

What Happens if the Insurance Company Denies My Lost Wages Claim?

It is not unusual for insurance agencies to delay or deny lost wage claims. Others make low settlement offers that do not cover a claimant’s costs. Insurance adjusters often try to minimize their liability by downplaying a claimant’s injuries or the amount of the wages lost. When that happens, you have the right to challenge their decision.

If the other driver was responsible for your injuries, that can be even more challenging. A car accident attorney can file the proper paperwork, gather evidence, and negotiate a fair settlement. A financial expert witness may be called to determine your lost earnings. Medical experts may be needed to determine when you can return to work, either in the original or diminished capacity.

Although these cases do not typically end up in court, your lawyer can represent you and fight for just compensation.

Our Media Car Accident Lawyers at Eckell Sparks Help Clients Get Compensation for Lost Wages

Lost wages can add up, making it hard to pay your medical bills and resume your everyday life. Our skilled Media car accident lawyers at Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte, Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C. offer legal counsel and can fight to protect your rights. Call 610-565-3701 or complete our online form to schedule a consultation. Located in Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania, we serve clients throughout Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery County.