Most people do not think about possible emergencies when they are in their car. Whether it is a car accident, mechanical issue, or an extreme weather event, something could happen while you are driving that requires safety tools or supplies. Without these supplies, you could be stuck on the side of the road for several hours. A perfect example of this recently happened in the Washington D.C. area due to a sudden winter storm that dropped a lot of snow and ice. Hundreds of drivers were stuck on I-95 for up to 16 hours in freezing weather. Many of these drivers ran out of gas keeping their cars warm, and they also had no food, water, or tools.
No matter how good of a driver you are, there is always a chance that you will have an accident or mechanical issue that can leave you stranded on the road. Also, there could be a weather event that you were not expecting that could put you in a dangerous situation. To help you prepare for an emergency, you should have a few safety tools and supplies in your car at all times. Some items you should have in your vehicle include:
- Cellphone and charger.
- Jumper cables and battery jumper pack.
- Flares or reflective triangles.
- Warm blanket.
- Extra clothes such as warm socks, winter hat, sweatshirt, and winter boats if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and ice.
- Bottled water.
- Flashlight with batteries.
- First-aid kit.
- Tool kit that has a wrench, hammer, and pliers.
- Utility knife.
- Tire pressure gauge.
- Tire inflation device.
- Car safety glass breaker.
- Duct tape and electrical tape for small leaks.
- Small bottles of engine oil, washer fluid, and antifreeze.
- Battery-powered radio.
- Rope or chain for towing.
- Tire repair kit.
- Non-perishable foods.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Paper map.
- Small snow shovel.
- Tire traction matts.
What if I Have Children?
If you have children, there are more items that you may want to always have in your vehicle for emergencies. Here are some items to consider:
- Cleaning supplies, such as paper towels, wipes, cleaning spray, and trash bags.
- Diapers, wipes, and diaper garbage container.
- Toys, books, and other activities.
- Snacks and drinks, especially water.
West Chester Car Accident Lawyers at Eckell Sparks Offer Legal Guidance to Those Injured in Collisions
There are some safety tools and supplies that you should have in your car in case an emergency happens. However, not all motorists drive responsibly, and you might become injured in a car accident and need legal help. If you need legal assistance after a collision, speak with one of our West Chester car accident lawyers at Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte, Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C. today. Call us at 610-565-3701 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation. Located in Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania, we serve clients throughout Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery County.