What Should I Do if My Child was Injured in a Car Accident?

March 30, 2021

Although safe driving can reduce the likelihood of a collision, a car accident can still happen, and passengers can suffer injuries, including children. Anybody under 18 years old is considered a minor, but when it comes to injuries resulting from a car accident, medical bills for minors may be the same or even more than an adult if specialists need to be consulted. Serious injuries can require surgery, long hospital stays, expensive medications, and physical therapy afterwards. Children can be emotionally traumatized by being involved in a car accident and need treatment for that as well.

If the accident was caused by the negligence of another driver, a passenger injury claim can be filed to obtain compensation for any injuries sustained in the crash. The child is considered a fault free passenger, and the insurance of the at-fault driver should cover them. If a child is injured while riding as a passenger in a car, they should get treated by a medical professional immediately. The most important step is to keep meticulous records of any injuries and treatment. Parents should start a file for emergency room expenses, medical bills, and related receipts.

If possible, parents should take photographs of the crash scene itself, any injuries, and get contact information of any eyewitnesses to the accident. Parents should also obtain a copy of the police report and the insurance information from the other driver. All of this evidence will help build a strong case for a successful personal injury suit. Parents should also meet with an experienced lawyer who can help determine the best course of legal action.

What Types of Compensation are Available to Minors?

A child who was injured in a car accident needs compensation for medical care, emotional trauma, pain and suffering, and physical disfigurement or scarring for serious injuries. Additionally, a serious car accident can have life-altering consequences for a child, and a collision might leave them in need of constant medical care for chronic pain.

A parent may have to give up working to tend to the child’s injuries and aid in recovery, which could lead to lost income. The court will consider all of these present and future issues into account when awarding damages. With the help of a lawyer, a child and their family can receive the right amount of compensation.

Delaware County Personal Injury Lawyers at Eckell Sparks Help Children and Their Families After Serious Collisions

A serious car accident can change a child’s life forever. Our Delaware County personal injury lawyers at Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte, Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C. have extensive experience fighting for injured victims of negligence. Every case is unique, and we will thoroughly evaluate your situation. Call us at 610-565-3701 or contact us online for a free consultation. We have offices located in Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania, and we serve clients throughout Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery County.