What Happens if I Cannot Work Due to My Car Accident Injuries?

April 29, 2021
Accident Injuries

After a car accident, a victim can suffer both physically and financially. The effects of a serious car accident can involve property damage as well as injuries. If a car accident injury causes the victim to miss work, the lost wages should be compensated. Any financial losses, such as medical bills or property damage, caused by the accident should be included as compensation for the victim.

What are Lost Wages?

Any amount of income lost due to an inability to work as a result of injuries sustained from the accident can be considered lost wages. For example, if the victim was bedridden for months, the income they would have accrued in that time frame would be considered lost wages. A lawyer may be able to prove that a victim had to take significant time off work to go for medical tests, therapy sessions, and surgeries.

Lost wages may also include lost opportunities to earn bonuses or secure promotions. Lost earning capacity may also be considered. Lost earning capacity results when an injury prevents a person from returning to work at the same level of pay or from having the potential to graduate to a higher level.

How Can I Prove That I Needed Time Off of Work?

In order to secure compensation for lost wages, it must be proven that the injuries were indisputably caused by the collision. A lawyer needs to collect documentation from doctors and medical tests that identify the injuries. The documents should include information that shows dates and other notes that link them to the accident.

Additionally, it is important to have paperwork from the victim’s employer that states that the injuries prevented them from working. The employer may also be able to support the case that employment or compensation opportunities were missed while the victim was unable to work. Some employment documentation that can be used to support the claim might be paystubs or tax returns. A statement from the employer can establish a record of the exact days the victim was absent, the usual amount of work hours, and the salary or hourly rate. For help with evidence, a car accident victim should obtain legal counsel.

Delaware County Personal Injury Lawyers at Eckell Sparks Help Victims Recover Lost Wages After Collisions

If you suffered financial losses because you were unable to work after a car accident, you should be able to recover lost wages. A Delaware County personal injury lawyer at Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte, Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C. can help you link your injuries to the collision to support your case for compensation. For more information and a free consultation, call us at 610-565-3701 or complete our online form. We have offices located in Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania, and we represent clients throughout Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery