What if My Car Accident Left Me Permanently Disabled?

June 25, 2024
Contact a Skilled Delaware County Car Accident Lawyer at Eckell Sparks if You Suffered a Permanent Disability After a Motor Vehicle Crash

Car accidents are one of the leading causes of permanent disabilities. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 2 million people are injured in car accidents annually in the U.S., with a sizable number suffering long-term or permanent disabilities. These injuries can result in chronic pain, loss of mobility, and significant lifestyle changes. If a car accident left you permanently disabled, you may be entitled to compensation.

How Will Having a Permanent Disability Affect My Life?

Permanent disability can significantly impact various aspects of your life. Physically, you may face limitations in mobility, chronic pain, or require ongoing medical treatment and rehabilitation. That can affect your ability to perform everyday tasks and enjoy activities you once did.

Emotionally, coping with a permanent disability can lead to feelings of frustration, depression, and anxiety. The sudden change in lifestyle and independence can be overwhelming.

A permanent disability can also impact you financially, with a significant loss of income if you are unable to work. Medical expenses, rehabilitation, and necessary home modifications can quickly add up, creating a significant financial burden.

What Compensation Can I Seek for a Permanent Disability from a Car Accident?

When a car accident results in permanent disability, you may be entitled to various types of compensation:

  • Medical Expenses: Covers current and future medical treatments, surgeries, medications, and rehabilitation.
  • Lost Wages: Compensation for income lost due to the inability to work post-accident.
  • Pain and Suffering: Financial recompense for physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
  • Loss of Earning Capacity: If the disability affects your ability to earn a living in the future, you may be entitled to compensation for that loss.
  • Home Modifications: Costs related to modifying your home to accommodate your new needs, such as wheelchair ramps and accessible bathrooms.
  • Assistive Devices: The costs of necessary devices like wheelchairs, prosthetics, and other aids to help with daily living.

How Do I Prove My Permanent Disability?

Proving a permanent disability requires thorough documentation and credible evidence. Medical records like doctors’ notes, treatment records, and rehabilitation progress play a vital role. Obtain statements from medical professionals detailing the extent of your injuries and the impact on your daily life.

Employment records showing your inability to perform job duties help establish the loss of income and earning capacity. Personal statements from yourself and those close to you can also illustrate how the disability affects your daily activities and quality of life.

What Steps Should I Take Following a Permanent Disability from a Car Accident?

Gather all necessary documentation, including medical records, accident reports, witness statements, and financial records. File a claim with your insurance company and provide the relevant information. Be prepared for potential negotiations or disputes, and know that legal assistance can significantly aid this process.

It is essential to act promptly, as there are often time limits for filing claims and lawsuits. Taking the appropriate legal steps can help secure the compensation you deserve. We suggest consulting with a legal professional to guide you through the process and help you understand your rights.

Contact a Skilled Delaware County Car Accident Lawyer at Eckell Sparks if You Suffered a Permanent Disability After a Motor Vehicle Crash

If you have been permanently disabled from a car accident, it is essential to seek legal assistance to protect your rights and pursue fair compensation. A skilled Delaware County car accident lawyer at Eckell, Sparks, Levy, Auerbach, Monte, Sloane, Matthews & Auslander, P.C. is ready to provide the guidance and representation you need. Call 610-565-3701 or submit our online form for details. Located in Media and West Chester, Pennsylvania, we serve clients in Delaware County, Chester County, and Montgomery County.